Site Network: Home |

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Jim Rogers, who in April 2006 correctly predicted oil would reach $100 a barrel and gold $1,000 an ounce, comments on investment in commodities, stocks and currencies.

Rogers spoke in an interview in Bangkok before addressing an investor conference today.

On commodities:

``Until either a lot of supply comes on stream or the economy collapses, the bull market will continue.

``The bull market in oil, for instance, started in 1999. In those nine and a half years, oil has gone down 40 percent or 50 percent three times. Wasn't the end of the bull market. Just to make a correction. Scared a lot of people. Made skeptics believe that they were correct. But after consolidation, the bull market continued, and I suspect that would be the case for the next several years as well.''

On base metals:

``I haven't bought any for a while. They went up a lot a few years ago. But I have started to notice that they are down.

``I'm contemplating whether it's time to get involved with base metals again or not.''

On China's shares:

``If we get to a selling climax, I would be more optimistic that it's time to buy a lot of China again. And when you buy China, you may also be buying Taiwan and Hong Kong.

``Tourism, agriculture, education, infrastructure, power generation. These are some of the places that I think money would be made going forward.''

On currencies and the carry trade:

``I would like to buy a lot of renminbi. It's not that simple. You can't just go and buy renminbi the way you buy the euro, for instance. But I periodically buy more renminbi, yen, Swiss franc. Those are the currencies that I have been buying this year. They have been affected by the carry trade and I expect the carry trade will reverse some day.''

On the U.S. dollar:

``It's a terribly flawed currency. I don't know how long the dollar rally will last. But if it continues, somewhere along the line, I hope to use the rally to sell my dollars.''

On Australia and New Zealand dollars:

``I own the currencies. But I've said that I expect the carry trade to reverse. They have been major beneficiaries of the carry trade. They may get hurt if the carry trade reverses. If the carry trade reverses, they will suffer for a while. I am not selling mine. I don't even try to trade or to be a short-term investor as long as I'm optimistic about the future of raw materials and as long as those countries continue to be reasonably well managed, I will sit with my positions through any consolidation or correction.''

On Thailand:

``Thailand, for whatever reason, is going through this period of complications.

``I don't think I have missed anything, not investing in Thailand. But since I am here, I will pay a little more attention. International healthcare might be of interest.''

(Source)⇒Bloomberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment